Sunday, January 02, 2011

Humorless Prigs

That's my reaction to the story that Captain Honors is in trouble for his XO Movie Night videos.

The Virginian-Pilot has an edited version.

The videos were made by Sailors at war. Sailors far from home doing dangerous work for long hours.

The videos are funny and directed towards men and women who could use a laugh. (Yeah, the rectal probe was probably over the top, but I see it as the equivalent of when a comic gets an "oooh" for crossing the line in the middle of an otherwise hilarious routine.)

Anyway, Lighten the fuck up.

UPDATE: I posted that on Sunday morning. Little did I know that the humorless prigs would turn join forces with the spineless leadership of today's Navy. By Tuesday morning, Captain Honor had been relieved. Disgusting.

More over at Phib's, Lex, USNI, and Ace of Spades.

UPDATE II: Admiral Harvey made the call. Tough decision. I don't agree with it. I think the second and third order effects will be bad for the Navy. But it was his decision to make, if I were I CMC still I would support it. It's done. Aye, aye.

One comment in the discussion stood out. I agree with it and it captures one of the reasons that so many folks came out to support the Captain.
"My experience is that teams are built through emotional events; two of the strongest being pain and laughter. People coalesce around those with whom they bleed and those with whom they laugh. ... As Sailors, it is the laughter in pubs, engine rooms, berthing compartments, and even on the bridge, that make us feel part of something special. I care most about those with whom I've shared laughs and tears. Take that away and you've created a climate of cold professionalism which discourages the very relationships that build high performing teams.
...Humor has often been the subject of attack and yet humor is the vehicle which often drives the greatest change. Parody highlights the ridiculousness of situations that could not be addressed as readily or as effectively in normal conversation. ..."
These are true statements. There can be legitimate discussion about whether the senior leader should have a role in the parody, That commenter had it right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Mark Cassel said...

Should have seen some of the shit we used to do. I crossed the equator the first time on 28 December 1980 aboard the Good Ship Ranger. Most of the people who thought this stuff on Enterprise was bad, would heave their guts out with what we did. I will not divulge anything. We have a Code of Honor.

Jan 15, 2011, 9:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home