Saturday, August 09, 2008

What Ever Happened to Post-Racial?

I went to the Obama site to see if he had made a comment on the Soviet, whoops, Russian invasion of Georgia as he was heading out for vacation. No comment. As well there should not be. He's not President. I did find the concentration camp sign image and some verbage from his arrival in Hawaii

"I try to explain to them something about the aloha spirit. I try to explain to them this basic idea that we all have obligations to each other, that we're not alone, that if we see somebody who's in need we should help,"


Hmm. This is at the core of civil, dare I say it, Christian society. Who exactly needs this "explained" to them? The uncouth pagan masses I guess.


"Obama said "most importantly, that when you come from Hawaii, you start understanding that what's on the surface, what people look like, that doesn't determine who they are.

"And that the power and strength of diversity, the ability of people from everywhere, whether they're black or white, whether they're Japanese-American or Korean-American or Filipino-American or whatever they are, they are just Americans, that all of us can work together and all of us can join together to create a better country.


Now we throw in the "D" word to make the pronouncement holy. The implication I get here is that somehow we are not joined together, but separate groups that still need to learn how to come together. Dude, we're past that.

I like the 'better country' part, but with him I get the feeling that he doesn't mean for us to go from good to better, but to go from bad to good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home